Friday, August 1, 2014

Something old and something new

SOMETHING NEW:

Last week I was busy with two projects.  One was completed; a table runner for my youngest daughter's  best friend since elementary school?  middle school?  Her wedding is rapidly approaching in early September.  Another friend of theirs had seen her new home before my daugther, and I said 'what colors'?  Her friend said 'white'.  I said 'what?".  'WHAT?'  Quite a challenge for a quilter who loves color.  Fortunately I was up to it.  I decided to make a runner with white and grey, looking neutral but modern.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  Pattern is from the book Set the Table.

SOMETHING ELSE NEW:

Next, I needed to complete some quilt blocks for a pattern test I was helping with for Rossie Hutchinson.  She designed a pattern called Greek Plus Puss and put out the call for some testers on Instagram.  I thought it would be fun to try it but needed to read, cut, sew & respond by July 28.  Sewing the block was a lot of fun, a very satisfying pattern with squares and rectangles (no pesky HSTs to square or use).  Added benefit was that if I made 12 blocks, it would make a top approximately 36" X 48", which is the size quilt Great Lakes Heritage Quilters wants to collect for charity this year, so when done, I'd have a quilt to donate.  Next---I need to quilt this!


SOMETHING OLD:

After a big storm blew thru the area  (70mph winds!!) we were without power for 24 hours, no internet products (internet, tv or phone) for 48 hours.  The first 24, I cleaned up the studio, updated my quilt journal (keeping track of when something is started and when it is finished) and then did some cutting for the Wagon Wheel quilt I started in November 2013.   I had previously sewed the paper-pieced arcs, and cut out the lattice pieces and quarter-circles, so  Monday I got all the background pieces cut, which have the quarter circle cut in them & require some template/scissor cutting out.  Whoo-hoo!! Power back on Tuesday, still no internet (read this as NO internet distractions, you know--those lost hours reading blogs, Facebook and Pinterest) so I got cranking on these blocks.  Yay---electricity for the fabulous quilting triology----sewing machine, iron & iPod!!!



I bought a kit about two years ago from Wendy Paskus at a quilt show in Lansing, Michigan.  Wendy put some of her FABULOUS hand-dyed solids in the kit.  I couldn't take my eyes of the delicious sample, which also uses handspun woven plaids and shirtings.  Debated & debated, driving my friends Mary & Suzanne crazy, but finally bought it.  Then, when I planned programs for Great Lakes Heritage Quilters and brought in Sandy Klop of American Jane Patterns, I picked the Wagon Wheel as one of our workshops, and was able to get going on this quilt.  Only four more blocks to finish, then a nice piano-key border.

Another exciting happening this week was my first purchase at a local shop of the brand new Cotton and Steel  fabric collection.  Guildcrafters Quilt Shop had a sign-up to come to a special invite-only preview sale and get 25% off.  So I signed up & was there promptly for the first evening of the preview sale.  All the bolts were beautiful spread out on tables, fat quarters in baskets and 1/4 yard pre-cuts of each designers portion of the collection.  Quite a few people I knew were there & we had fun picking out what we wanted to get our discount on.  I love 'Stash Enhancement'!


2 comments:

  1. The table runner has a classy elegance about it. Your wagon wheel blocks are awesome. Can't wait to see it all together. It will be spectacular. Thanks for posting the link to your blog on FB. Otherwise, I'd miss it.

    ReplyDelete