Saturday, August 9, 2014

"Greekpluspuss" Quilt, Finished

Last time I wrote about a pattern test I had offered to help with via Instagram for Rossie Hutchinson.  She has a great blog entry here right now for complete information on the pattern, advantages to buying it and where you can buy it (Craftsy or Etsy, $9), so pop on over there if you think you'd like to get the pattern.  It was very fun and the pattern has options for many different sizes, which eliminates the need for nasty drafting or math, trying to figure out your fabric requirements and cutting info.

The top was done last time I wrote, but I decided to get that small 36 X 48 top quilted this week, before the meeting of Detroit Area Modern QG so that I could 'show & tell' it.  I had a new batting (to me)  I wanted to try by Quilter's Dream.  I've been using almost exclusively their Dream Cotton, in the thinnest weight, "Request", which is my most favorite batting ever.  I love quilts to be thin and get a little wrinkly, like a much loved old quilt.  Lately I'm thinking I'd like less shrinkage, but still want them to lay flat, so I am once again experimenting a little with batting.

Bought a couple Quilter's Dream Poly in lap size to try.  These are also their "Request" loft.  Even taking it out of the bag it was apparent that it was nothing like the poly battings of old.  Most people curl their lip involuntarily as soon as they hear the word 'polyester', but I'm telling you, polyester isn't what it used to be!  The Dream Poly looks just like their cotton. Smooth, flat, strong but thin.



Even poly threads have come a long, long way!  Since I bought my Bernina 820, I've been using poly threads quite a bit, particularly when quilting.  They are fine and strong, great for the longer arm that the 820 has.  There was an adjustment period with this machine and I have a large collection of Aurafil, which I love, but the thought the poly was a better choice for the long area the thread has to go & reduced breakage.  I think since a recent machine repair, I'm not having breakage issues any more anyway, so no longer a worry.

 It was a wonderful batting to work with when laying it out on my design wall for spray basting.  It took the quilting stitches very nicely and is a nice, flat thin, quilt.  I chose a simple over-all pattern of swirly shapes.  I trim it after quilting, leaving only a quarter inch or so on the edge, machine baste the edges to reduce the threads tangling during the wash and then put in the machine.  If a quilt will be used & be next to someone's skin, I want to get the adhesive spray OUT.  Normally, if a nice day, I will stretch it out flat & dry outside, inside if weather doesn't cooperate.  I decided to machine dry it a bit (being in a hurry to take it out to guild that night).  It dried very quickly, so I lost the opportunity to reduce shrinkage.  Still has some shrinkage, but it's a lovely, soft, antique-y looking quilt.  Binding goes on after it's dry and trimmed, I like it narrow; how about you?




Someone said they thought the poly bat wouldn't hold fold lines, but I'm not finding that to be true.  this quilt was only folded for about 4 days now, and I had a line when I un-folded it.  So if you want that quality, go wool!  I will look forward to trying the other Dream Poly I bought, and maybe dry it flat to see what kind of shrinkage I have.  Mostly, if you use unwashed fabrics, you'll have a little shrinkage.  And with the size my stash is, no way I'm going to wash it all now!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sue. This is great to know that the polyester batting is much better than it was. Your quilt is beautiful, too. It's going on my short list of possible baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete