Sunday, April 14, 2013

International Quilt Festival Cincinnati 2013

My friend Suzanne and I headed down to Cincinnati for the International Quilt Festival and had a great time.  We packed as much into 2 days as you can, and spent about 4 1/2 hours in the car each of those days.  Walked countless miles, ate awesome food, saw beautiful quilts and shopped the vendors for quilters' 'must-haves'.  Even if we didn't KNOW it was a must-have until the salesperson did their spiel......just kidding!  We really DID need those things!

First of all; 4 hours south of us, it is SPRING.  Trees & shrubs have green leaves unfurling, flowering trees covered in flowers, grass is totally green and pansies are growing outside, in the ground.  We didn't happen on very warm weather, although the 2nd day was warmer.  They've already had their share, I think it had been 70 til we got there.  But it does the soul good to see spring advancing. May it PLEASE speed up its advance here in Michigan!!!

I was particularly interested in two modern exhibits:  The Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild, a chapter of the national group, The Modern Quilt Guild, had an exhibit where they re-interpreted the traditional block Dresden Plate.  This was very fun to see.  Although it is clear to see that if a group is invited to show an exhibit, the same stringent requirements do not apply as if you were an individual trying to get a quilt into this same show.  Hopefully this doesn't sound too snarky, but I believe quilting & sewing are a skill & our quilts deserve good work, be they traditional or 'modern'.  Here are a few from the 'Dresden' group:

 


 
 
  Also, The Modern Quilt Guild had an exhibit entitled "The Modern Quilt Guild Showcase 2012".  Exhibitors come from various chapters around 'the world', according to the show program.  It was very fun to see several quilts from quilters I have admired, having their books and following their blogs.  Those included Jacquie Gering and Victoria Findley Wolfe, among others.  For me, 'modern' quilts are like a breath of fresh air for the more 'jaded?' quilter's palate.  So many of those induce a bit of the ho-hum for me.  When I see one of these, I wake up!  Although, I still want to see quilts that show SKILL and quality in their sewing and machine quilting.  YES, it should be square, and flat, and well-made.  Here's a few of those:
 


 

One quilt that really excites me for its concept was done by a group of 4 quilters.  They took a photo, cut it into 4 parts, then each quilter made that section, in a designated size.  All four panels were then sewn together in one quilt.  I've seen something like this before, last year, at the show put on by the Oakland County Quilt Guild.  The quilt below was done by a group of 4, including Victoria Findlay Wolfe.
If you look closely, you can see the 3 joining seams.  I would LOVE to be included in a project like this, but not sure I know quilters willing, interested & able to do a challenge like this.  WHAT fun it would be!

My friend Carol, an extremely talented longtime quilter,  is interested in 'modern' & constantly quizs me 'is that one modern?' 'that one?', trying to grasp what in the heck it is, what makes it modern.  I texted her a photo from Cincinnati and said 'YES, that one's modern, LOL.  She possesses the most amazing color skills and has done some of the best work I have seen.  She is a traditional quilter. 

My new guild, Detroit Area Modern Quilt Guild, doesn't have an active website yet, although it is in the works.  They will have a great definition there of what a 'modern' quilt is or what that term means.  Until their blog goes live, you can go here to see how the Modern Quilt Guild describes a 'modern' quilt.  Here you go, Carol!!

I'm feeling like this post may be long enough; I don't want to lose you.  So I will end here, but tomorrow will post more pictures from the show and some other info about it.

In closing,  I have to say how IMPORTANT it is to do these things as a quilter.  Your guild, taking workshops, going to shows INSPIRES your creativity---it is a fire that needs fuel, a plant that needs nourishment to grow.  Nothing you can do is more important than feeding & nourishing your creativity!

1 comment: