Friday, February 19, 2016

Oooops----did I start a NEW project????

Well....... yes. Yes I did.  I deserved it, since I've finished SEVEN quilts since early December, and most of those were UFO's---only one was new, start to finish in about ten days.  The rest were all finishes. So there!

Didn't intend to.  But Monday I started to see the first blocks being posted for The Splendid Sampler.  Hosted by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson (Quilt Jane), there are more than 80 designers, including one of my absolute faves, Jen Kingwell.  A really, REALLY spectacular list of designers!!

The six-inch blocks will be released twice a week, Sundays and Thursday, with a total of 100 in all.  The project lasts a year, and there are two holiday weeks off. 

Anyone can manage two blocks a week, right?  And you NEED to have some piecing to do!!

I cut into my Mary Elizabeth Kinch Modern Country, and also some Anna Marie Horner Fibs and Fables .  Here's the first block, designed by Pat Sloan.


And the second, designed by Jane Davidson.


If you decide to join in, they have a closed Facebook page where you can post your progress & talk to other quilters working on Splendid.  I think it will be a lot of fun.  I'm going to look forward to the release of the next blocks.  When you go to their website, be sure to look at all the free projects & tutorials they are providing as well---some of that looks great!

Even if you don't want to do it now, save the pdf files, while they're free---eventually they are going off the website and into a book that promises to be spectacular.

It was a busy week, with two of my groups meeting, lots of fun, but maybe not quite as much sewing as I would like.  I did get one new Chuck Nohara block done also.  It was pretty challenging, and I used paper piecing and applique on the same block.  The math for my five-inch blocks was a little tight, requiring use of eighths of an inch to make things fit.  It's done and I'll take it!


And before I go, here's a cute little squirrel, off to meet her friends for coffee.... My friend from guild, Denise, shared this onto my Facebook wall for me & I think it's pretty cute.  She's so stylish.  Just like me.


1 comment: